Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Belated Kudos, or Missing the Ugandan Vegan

So the days go on, and I almost feel pressed for time as more and more interviews come in. I'm still not 100% sure what I am exactly doing, but you know, that seems to be the theme of my life. I'm really good at whipping shit into shape (Ivy league education= improvise with style) (or just weird vanity) (both sound about right) but anyways, I guess the more I learn here the more I will be able to write about once I get back. Bueno!



I just wanted to leave a short post (for the few that still read this silly ramble) about my friend's blog. My friend is the Ugandan Vegan, or Robbie Jay Ross, or the crazy person that used to live upstairs and also was in Rwanda with me last year. Robbie's blog chronicles his adventures and misadventures in Uganda last year and the year before that, and I have always found insights and advice from his posts. For example, as I half accidentally happen upon his blog today, I am confronted with the question: is everything really here with a purpose? Even if I don't know it? Maybe that's the only answer I can give myself, when (which is everyday) I am sitting alone in my bedroom at the Okapi, thinking, what am I doing here? What place does a Korean have in Kigali?



I always admired Robbie's ability to laugh and bring humor into the most dire situations. Believe me, we've seen shit together, we've been in shit together, all
in the short span of 2 weeks in Rwanda (and the subsequent year we spent on top of each other). But Robbie always managed to finnagle a joke somewhere or anywhere. I think I was falling into the trap of thinking too much, and thus digging deeper into the pit of sarcasm and melancholy - maybe everything does have a time and purpose, and perhaps there was a reason why I decided to re-open the ugandanvegan today.



Miss you, bro! And for the others, check this out: www.ugandanvegan.blogspot.com

No comments: