Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bonjour, Kigali!

It seems like six million years since my last post. OMG. I AM IN AFRICA. No, no,
for reals. This is it. The real thing. You know how I know it? See, for the first, very first time in my life I have no fucking CLUE what people are saying when they speak
their language (kinyarwandan). Yeah, no kidding, this is a first.(Hey, even in Germany I could pick up some stuff on the menu and what the waitress was saying) Like a virgin, touched for the very first time. Only, its kind of like being an infant with an overgrown body. Baaba, boo boo, anyone? Funny thing is, this is precisely what my mother said as I left "Ha, now you get to feel how its like to have NO CLUE!" Absolute, complete alienation.

Well, not that I am particularly upset about it. I did notice I became a lot nicer, more humble. I am not the nicest sweetest person when it comes to everyday tasks, like say, getting on a bus or grabbing a cab (hey, life doesn't wait for you, okay?) but today I was the sweetest little darling. (Um, sorry, oh no, blvd l'umuganda, sil vouz-plait? connaitre (bad french) chez lando? its near there? no?)

The Koreans dropped me off at my little quaint guesthouse, a cute little place with yellow brick walls and pink flowers. (They were horrified - these men stay at Hyatts, Hiltons, Ritz Carltons...) I panicked for about two hours, having difficulty talking to my cleaning lady, jet lagged, unable to operate my phone... and then Moses arrived. No, I'm dead serious.

Moses is the name of our interpreter, who is also a part time business student. A rather quiet, smallish man of indeterminate youngish age, Moses struck me as what people stereotyped as "Rwandan" - slow, but steady, quiet but friendly. This man was literally my savior - took me to the bank, got francs, got me a phone, and planned my next 5 days. All set. Bravo. Even got me an English speaking (fellow ex-expat from Uganda) cab driver, just in case I end up in the wrong side of the country.

So tomorrow the real adventure begins. I will be off to the Memorial center, taking notes like a madwoman, and taking photos and sketches like its nobody's business. Now, if I can just hail the night concierge to make me a nice ham and egg sandwich...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

YUNA. Why did I never realize just how extremely WITTY you are? It must come out in your writing more than your speech.... hardy har har, just kidding. Honestly though, this is a brilliant blog, I'm having so much fun reading it! I'm glad you arrived safely in your guesthouse--how long until everyone else gets there?

You are amazing for traversing the Rwandan transportation service by yourself. Honestly, how scary! I'm sure you're going to be a pro in just a few days, though....

Keep blogging, and keep having all-new experiences. All I know of Kinyarwandan is "Amakuru" and "Nimeza" but at least they can help you get an opening! :-) Good luck!!!

M.

Min Seung said...

Verb change for connaitre can be a little tricky. I must ditto Michelle for saying you are witty in your writing more than your speech. (I just realized listening to the radio while typing hinders me from writing with correct grammar - and I also just realized the song I was listeing is actually Korean, not Africaan.)

I also must say that you have lifted our expectation on your eptness using internet and computer. Next time I have any trouble using wibro in some foreign country, I will definitely give you an emergency call.